#gemrb@irc.freenode.net logs for 21 Sep 2011 (GMT)

Archive Today Yesterday Tomorrow
GemRB homepage


[00:27:31] --> brad_a has joined #gemrb
[00:53:06] --> joneirikb has joined #gemrb
[00:55:18] <-- joneirik has left IRC (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[00:58:14] <-- brad_a has left IRC (Remote host closed the connection)
[00:58:28] --> brad_a has joined #gemrb
[01:02:39] --> brad_a_ has joined #gemrb
[01:02:51] --> yyz has joined #gemrb
[01:05:47] <-- brad_a has left IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[01:05:50] --- brad_a_ is now known as brad_a
[01:07:21] <-- yyz has left IRC (Client Quit)
[02:46:19] <brad_a> ha ha wow. that fix for the drop caps had me thinking for like an hour and it turned out to be moving one line of code
[03:21:27] <-- brad_a has left IRC (Quit: brad_a)
[04:10:59] <-- DrMcCoy has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:00] <-- tomprince has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:00] <-- CIA-26 has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:02] <-- gembot_ has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:05] <-- fuzzie has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:12] <-- Stefan80 has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:14] <-- wjp has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:20] <-- Gekz_ has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:26] <-- Guest72507 has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:42] <-- |Cable| has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:42] <-- Demitar has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[04:11:47] <-- xrogaan has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[05:41:48] <-- joneirikb has left IRC (Remote host closed the connection)
[08:00:02] --> Guest72507 has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> Gekz_ has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> barra_home has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> wjp has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> CIA-26 has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> tomprince has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> fuzzie has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> DrMcCoy has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> Stefan80 has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> gembot_ has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> |Cable| has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> Demitar has joined #gemrb
[08:00:02] --> xrogaan has joined #gemrb
[09:26:35] --> SiENcE has joined #gemrb
[15:14:48] --> brad_a has joined #gemrb
[15:37:23] --> Maighstir has joined #gemrb
[15:56:06] --> Yoshimo has joined #gemrb
[16:09:30] <brad_a> lynxlynxlynx: I need a new project.
[16:09:35] <-- SiENcE has left IRC (Quit: @all: cya)
[16:09:56] <brad_a> do you want to see this drop-cap and textarea/scrollbar stuff before i push it?
[16:10:41] <lynxlynxlynx> how much did you test it?
[16:10:59] <lynxlynxlynx> eg., do the save / load lists still scroll properly?
[16:11:09] <lynxlynxlynx> last time you tried perpixel scrolling that got screwed up
[16:11:52] <lynxlynxlynx> do the drop caps also work for autoscrolling text areas (eg. chapter text windows)?
[16:11:59] <tomprince> brad_a: You could properly fix the PARSE_ARGUMENTS stuff... ;)
[16:12:28] <brad_a> tomprince: ha ha yeah id like to think that wont take long
[16:12:49] <brad_a> i havent tested chapter text
[16:13:13] <brad_a> honestly ive only tested inventory items for the drop caps
[16:13:29] <lynxlynxlynx> you can just set their textarea to autoscroll
[16:13:33] <brad_a> the scrolling has been in testing on ios and i havent heard any bugs only praise
[16:13:50] <brad_a> but i dnt really feel like playing gemrb on the simulator
[16:14:02] <Yoshimo> i have seen quite a few pink warnings like "could not assign function to action" and not existing triggers, how about silencing those brad?
[16:14:12] <lynxlynxlynx> it has to work outside it too ;) — no need for that
[16:14:33] <lynxlynxlynx> Yoshimo: no, those are correct
[16:14:35] <brad_a> well perpixel text areas do require sdl 1.3
[16:14:46] <brad_a> since 1.2 jsut sends mouse button events for the scroll whell
[16:14:53] <brad_a> and those get sent to the scrollbar
[16:15:27] <brad_a> but im pretty confidant i at least didnt make the scrolling worse
[16:15:30] <brad_a> :-P
[16:15:36] <lynxlynxlynx> check autoscroll :P
[16:15:49] <brad_a> just set some flag on all the textareas?
[16:15:58] <Yoshimo> lynx, in which sense correct? i think no warnings and errors should happen ;)
[16:16:13] <lynxlynxlynx> any with a drop cap, so the item description window is good
[16:16:32] <tomprince> Yoshimo: The original game data is buggy.
[16:16:56] <lynxlynxlynx> Yoshimo: all those would need to be implemented, but that's not something for brad; additionally some are unused anyway
[16:17:45] <Yoshimo> tomprince: i know, there are a lot of fixes for the final version to fix biowares remaining bugs ;)
[16:18:10] <tomprince> Some fancier logging is on the TODO list.
[16:19:04] <tomprince> I am not usre what it would look like ... perhaps logging everything to a file, but only end-user interesting stuff to the console? We currently have a lot of output that is only rarely useful.
[16:20:05] <tomprince> Like, for example, the message Yoshimo was complaining about. They are valid messages, but they don't convey useful information to most people.
[16:20:19] <fuzzie> Something like that sounds sensible.
[16:20:36] <Yoshimo> well for windows it would be a lot easier to log it into a file, maybe even seperated by dev and user importance
[16:20:45] <fuzzie> You could split into, say, info/warning/error and only display the errors on-console.
[16:21:40] <fuzzie> I guess you could suppress the useless 'could not assign' messages with a blacklist, too.
[16:23:05] <tomprince> It also just occured to me that we don't capture the output from python at all.
[16:23:17] <fuzzie> Is there functionality for that?
[16:23:43] <Yoshimo> nidspecial10 , what action could that be?
[16:24:02] <fuzzie> Yoshimo: Internal debug use. I think unused in the case of 10.
[16:24:48] <fuzzie> Actually I'm not sure if any of those are used, at least in the final released engines, but we do implement some of them for our own internal use.
[16:25:47] <Yoshimo> what do i see, 85:reset,84 detected, 183 multiplayersync,94 groupattack, 37 followpath, 20 layhands 7 said
[16:26:07] <Yoshimo> and 3 triggers, whatever that is about
[16:31:03] <tomprince> We can certainly override sys.std{out,err,in} but I was thinking more in terms of structured logging.
[16:31:19] <fuzzie> Ah. I was more thinking of exceptions, actually. :)
[16:32:22] <brad_a> grrr. where am i supposed to set autoscroll? ive tried in the constructor and in setrow and both result in the textarea being already at the bottom and scrolling up for whatever reason doesnt reengage it.
[16:34:38] <brad_a> maybe the problem is i should bitwise or it and not assign...
[16:34:58] <Yoshimo> i have the same opinion as tom, seperate the non-critical lines from the critical ones
[16:35:40] <brad_a> ah ill bet its cuz smooth needs to be set to something too
[16:37:24] <lynxlynxlynx> brad_a: correct
[16:37:42] <lynxlynxlynx> autoscroll is for the message window, chapter text uses smooth scrolling
[16:39:14] <tomprince> I suspect that overriding sys.stderr might handle execpetion, but I think we actually print them out by calling PyErr_Print. (A quick look online tells me that the way to capture the output of PyErr_Print is to override sys.stderr)
[17:10:54] <tomprince> Another wishlist item for logging is to be able to see the log from the GUI.
[17:26:11] <brad_a> lynxlynxlynx: i'd feel better if you looked at this first http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13866402/scrolly-happiness.patch
[17:26:24] <brad_a> that has both the scrolling and drop-cap stuff in it
[17:26:58] <brad_a> as far as i can tell it works great
[17:27:54] <lynxlynxlynx> ok, a bit later, closing up shop
[18:02:15] <lynxlynxlynx> scrollbar:setpos
[18:02:23] <lynxlynxlynx> line 67
[18:02:55] <brad_a> thats a blank line for me
[18:03:02] <lynxlynxlynx> can it ever get there? the first condition already matches it if value is set
[18:03:16] <lynxlynxlynx> oh, wrong side of the diff :)
[18:03:47] <brad_a> i also had some uncommited whitespace garbage ill throw out
[18:05:22] <lynxlynxlynx> you moved the textarea perpixel scrolling comment, but isn't this implemented?
[18:05:34] <lynxlynxlynx> the placeholder one
[18:06:05] <brad_a> it is implemented in a later patch
[18:06:34] <brad_a> i think the last of the set
[18:07:52] <brad_a> that placeholder gets replaced in the second to last patch
[18:08:00] <lynxlynxlynx> i read it in reverse
[18:08:12] <lynxlynxlynx> i guess kompare just cat every patch together
[18:08:38] <lynxlynxlynx> better read the file
[18:08:45] <lynxlynxlynx> atleast it applies cleanly :)
[18:12:07] <lynxlynxlynx> looks ok, now to test it
[18:15:32] <lynxlynxlynx> less than a textarea ful of text still causes the slider to go out of bounds for me
[18:15:50] <lynxlynxlynx> drop caps seem to work perfectly
[18:16:00] <brad_a> well thats some good newss
[18:16:04] <lynxlynxlynx> pp scrolling too, but there is some small flicker
[18:16:10] <brad_a> really?
[18:16:45] <brad_a> the only thing i changed since i tested was some ifs to stop divide by 0
[18:17:21] <brad_a> of course last time i tested i probably neglected things with less than a page
[18:17:35] <brad_a> i have a fix for that tho
[18:17:59] <brad_a> how do you get the flicker?
[18:18:31] <brad_a> smooth as butter for me...
[18:19:27] <lynxlynxlynx> it's barely noticeable, so it may be the low fps limit
[18:20:04] <brad_a> ok so i need to fix the scroll out of bounds with < a page
[18:21:10] <lynxlynxlynx> chapter text is broken, the initial is reduced to a small dot/square
[18:21:25] <brad_a> ha ha
[18:21:33] <brad_a> i wonder how
[18:21:57] <brad_a> the drop-cap fix was super small and only involved font.cpp
[18:23:00] <brad_a> oh
[18:23:03] <brad_a> i see
[18:23:05] <brad_a> i think
[18:23:18] <brad_a> i only changed printFromLine
[18:23:33] <brad_a> there seems to be another print function
[18:24:19] <lynxlynxlynx> without your changes, i get no problems, but no initials there either
[18:24:26] <lynxlynxlynx> fishy
[18:24:30] <brad_a> indeed
[18:25:31] <brad_a> where is the call to print the text for that?
[18:26:32] <lynxlynxlynx> it's a smooth scrolling textarea, nothing more
[18:41:20] <brad_a> hmmm
[18:41:24] <brad_a> i will look into that
[18:41:57] <brad_a> did you have anything in particular in mind for me to do next?
[18:42:52] --> kettuz has joined #gemrb
[18:43:40] <lynxlynxlynx> tomprince's suggestion was good
[18:44:40] <brad_a> the logging thing?
[18:46:51] <Yoshimo> i think so
[18:47:12] <lynxlynxlynx> the plugin thing, but that's also good
[18:58:02] <brad_a> assuming the scrolling text works the same the only way i see chapter text being broken like that is if finit is null.
[19:24:17] --> SiENcE has joined #gemrb
[19:34:33] <brad_a> lynxlynxlynx: do you get an infinite loop upon starting a new game in BG2? when imoens dialog comes up? I dont know if its something i did or not.
[19:36:43] <lynxlynxlynx> let's see
[19:36:47] <lynxlynxlynx> but i doubt it
[19:36:52] <brad_a> i do too
[19:36:56] <brad_a> its probably any dialog
[19:37:13] <brad_a> except i would have thought joshua would have said something by now if it were that
[19:39:35] <lynxlynxlynx> works for me, she joined just fine
[19:40:25] <brad_a> do you still have my scroll patch applied?
[19:40:35] <brad_a> cuz thats really about all the new stuff ive done
[19:44:39] <brad_a> well its definitely not iOS/sdl 1.3 specific….
[19:53:36] --> Avenger has joined #gemrb
[20:04:00] <-- kettuz has left IRC (Quit: Leaving)
[20:15:59] <-- Avenger has left IRC (Quit: bye!)
[20:25:56] --> yyz has joined #gemrb
[20:28:34] <lynxlynxlynx> yes, i reapplied it
[20:38:07] --> glisignoli has joined #gemrb
[21:24:38] <-- SiENcE has left IRC (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[21:48:10] --> jschall has joined #gemrb
[22:09:43] <CIA-26> GemRB: 03avenger_teambg * re084b237c325 10gemrb/gemrb/ (4 files in 4 dirs): implemented Location feedback (x key in games)
[22:17:33] <-- lynxlynxlynx has left IRC (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:20:09] <glisignoli> WOOOOOO
[23:20:52] <-- Maighstir has left IRC (Quit: .)
[23:40:15] --> joneirik has joined #gemrb
[23:46:10] <-- Yoshimo has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)