#gemrb@irc.freenode.net logs for 28 Jun 2010 (GMT)

Archive Today Yesterday Tomorrow
GemRB homepage


[05:01:06] <-- Gekz_ has left IRC (Changing host)
[05:01:06] --> Gekz_ has joined #GemRb
[06:36:31] <-- Gekz_ has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[06:36:48] --> Gekz_ has joined #GemRb
[06:38:01] <-- anji has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[06:38:01] <-- fuzzie has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[06:39:29] --> maighstir|phone has joined #GemRb
[06:39:39] <maighstir|phone> morning
[06:41:57] <-- maighstir|phone has left IRC (Client Quit)
[06:56:57] <-- |Cable| has left IRC (Remote host closed the connection)
[06:58:39] --> fuzzie has joined #GemRb
[07:09:04] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #GemRb
[07:09:04] --- ChanServ gives channel operator status to lynxlynxlynx
[07:12:27] <-- Gekz_ has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[07:12:51] --> Gekz_ has joined #GemRb
[07:17:14] <lynxlynxlynx> hey lurkers
[07:21:04] <fuzzie> if they lurk, wouldn't replying make them not-lurkers? :)
[07:34:35] <lynxlynxlynx> plan foiled
[07:43:52] <fuzzie> g'morning, anyway
[07:55:28] <-- Gekz_ has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[07:56:19] --> Gekz_ has joined #GemRb
[07:57:29] <raevol> hi
[07:57:43] <fuzzie> aha
[07:57:52] <raevol> ah! i've been found!
[07:58:01] <raevol> why did i fall for such a ruse
[08:00:54] <lynxlynxlynx> :)
[08:01:46] <lynxlynxlynx> i'm looking for a bg1 tester that isn't fuzzie
[08:02:14] <lynxlynxlynx> no need for gameplay, it's all about the guis
[08:04:49] <fuzzie> i seem to remember raevol *is* our bg1 expert
[08:05:05] <raevol> hallo :D
[08:05:10] <raevol> i can be bothered
[08:05:14] <raevol> git pull and build?
[08:05:34] <lynxlynxlynx> git checkout bg1-import-cleanup
[08:05:56] <raevol> oh, walk me through this, do i need a new checkout?
[08:06:01] <lynxlynxlynx> no
[08:06:11] <raevol> just do that in my old one?
[08:06:25] <lynxlynxlynx> do a git pull first, then that and rebuild
[08:06:34] <raevol> on it
[08:06:59] <raevol> says it switched to that branch
[08:07:04] <raevol> should i pull again? or good from there?
[08:07:10] <lynxlynxlynx> it's find
[08:07:11] <lynxlynxlynx> fine
[08:07:11] <raevol> ok
[08:07:18] <raevol> then cd build/ cmake ../?
[08:07:42] <lynxlynxlynx> if you already have a build dir, just calling make will do
[08:08:18] <raevol> in that dir? or the parent where i do git pull?
[08:08:25] <raevol> not too familiar with make commands tbh
[08:09:10] <fuzzie> just run the normal build command :)
[08:09:14] <fuzzie> however you normally build gemrb
[08:09:29] <fuzzie> what lynx is saying is just that there's no need to do anything different
[08:09:35] <edheldil> Good morning
[08:09:41] <fuzzie> morning edheldil!
[08:10:06] <lynxlynxlynx> oj
[08:10:20] <raevol> ok
[08:11:31] <fuzzie> i take it that my fiddling yesterday hasn't crashed for anyone yet
[08:11:53] <lynxlynxlynx> the leak fix?
[08:12:05] <raevol> ok i am built
[08:12:14] <lynxlynxlynx> ok
[08:12:20] <raevol> fyi i have some widescreen thing installed so it runs at 1280x1024
[08:12:49] <lynxlynxlynx> the point of this exercise is to spot any python runtime errors, so watch the console
[08:13:04] <lynxlynxlynx> this will be a pink-ponk match
[08:13:07] <raevol> can i output to a file?
[08:13:20] <lynxlynxlynx> sure, if that's easier for you
[08:13:31] <raevol> mind telling me what the command for that is <3
[08:13:36] <lynxlynxlynx> the errors are spotted easily though
[08:13:39] <lynxlynxlynx> > file
[08:13:42] <raevol> it'd be easier to be able to ctrl+f through it
[08:13:42] <raevol> ok
[08:13:58] <raevol> and then just go through a bunch of gui stuff? make a character? chat up some npcs? shop?
[08:14:01] <lynxlynxlynx> better &>
[08:14:20] <lynxlynxlynx> not that fast, i'm sure you'll reach a problem sooner
[08:14:31] <lynxlynxlynx> first just start the game
[08:14:49] <lynxlynxlynx> then try all the stuff in the options menus
[08:14:51] <lynxlynxlynx> load/save
[08:15:10] <lynxlynxlynx> if the gui gets stuck, that's a good indication that an error occurred
[08:15:58] <lynxlynxlynx> basically try to do everything that is possible
[08:16:09] <raevol> yea i started the game and loaded a game and the gui disappeared
[08:16:14] <fuzzie> hehe
[08:16:18] <raevol> and it was fullscreen so i couldn't quit :(
[08:16:25] <raevol> had ot switch toa virtual terminal and kill it
[08:16:35] <fuzzie> the console should always work, ctrl-space or something
[08:16:46] <raevol> ah i was trying tilde :(
[08:17:02] <raevol> my output.txt has a lot of greek
[08:17:05] <raevol> want me to send it to you
[08:17:23] <lynxlynxlynx> grep -C5 Runtime output.txt
[08:17:40] <raevol> found nothing
[08:17:40] <lynxlynxlynx> put it on some pastebin
[08:17:50] <lynxlynxlynx> then whole
[08:18:39] <raevol> http://pastebin.com/yRp4ntJN
[08:19:03] <raevol> a lot of that is me flailing around trying to quit the game
[08:19:16] <raevol> something i was pressing was making the gui flash into view, but only for like a frame
[08:20:33] <fuzzie> ok, so no CanLevelUp
[08:20:52] <lynxlynxlynx> \[yuck
[08:21:09] <fuzzie_> oh
[08:21:14] <fuzzie_> why am i here.
[08:21:15] <-- fuzzie_ has left IRC (Quit: leaving)
[08:24:41] <raevol> anything useful in there?
[08:24:48] <lynxlynxlynx> yep
[08:24:50] <raevol> cool
[08:24:55] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian 07bg1-import-cleanup * rfcedba4a77ec 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUICommonWindows.py: bg1: CanLevelUp is from LUCommon
[08:25:02] <lynxlynxlynx> try again
[08:25:05] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian * rfec1894f9d5d 10gemrb/NEWS: NEWS bump
[08:25:13] <lynxlynxlynx> oops
[08:25:17] <raevol> just git pull?
[08:25:22] <lynxlynxlynx> yep
[08:26:03] <lynxlynxlynx> grep -B2 -A10 Traceback output.txt # do this the next time
[08:26:34] <-- Gekz_ has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[08:27:52] --> Gekz_ has joined #GemRb
[08:29:32] <raevol> does &> append?
[08:29:50] <raevol> my gui stayed up, but the gui buttons i clicked on didn't work in-game
[08:30:34] <fuzzie> no, &> redirects stderr too
[08:30:59] <raevol> ok, but so will my output.txt get overwritten?
[08:31:04] <lynxlynxlynx> yep
[08:31:10] <raevol> cool
[08:31:19] <raevol> per your request: http://pastebin.com/F1U2p88Q
[08:31:21] <lynxlynxlynx> listen, it is important to take it slow
[08:31:30] <lynxlynxlynx> be systematic
[08:31:53] <raevol> yea :[ sorry i am kind of flailing, do you need to know which buttons atm? or just need logs?
[08:31:58] <lynxlynxlynx> the button problem i need to know about too, but let me first look into this one
[08:32:02] <raevol> ok
[08:32:08] <edheldil> it also helps to run the original engine and compare differences
[08:32:56] <edheldil> lynxlynxlynx: the actor in G3 looks nice, but the license is rather shoddy, I think
[08:33:42] <lynxlynxlynx> sounded like public domain
[08:34:06] <lynxlynxlynx> i'm sure it can be improved
[08:35:12] <fuzzie> the readme in the zip says fine for any kind of private and commercial use, so i guess you'd ask for CC-BY 3.0 or something
[08:35:16] --> Maighstir_laptop has joined #GemRb
[08:35:54] <edheldil> ah,, ok, I did not look inside, sorry. I just read "It might be used for a small "mockup"-Testgame that will not infringe any copyrights."
[08:36:24] <fuzzie> i think what is meant there is, it could be used in a game which wasn't just copying Bioware's stuff :)
[08:37:34] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian 07bg1-import-cleanup * r222d0850c508 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUICommonWindows.py: bg1: OpenPartyWindow is not implemented yet
[08:37:46] <lynxlynxlynx> next :)
[08:37:51] <raevol> haha, again?
[08:38:06] <lynxlynxlynx> hehe, you don't know what you got into :P
[08:38:33] <lynxlynxlynx> i expect at least 5 more runs
[08:38:42] <raevol> i'm down :D
[08:38:50] <raevol> got that pull, going in
[08:40:01] <raevol> http://pastebin.com/9QL83BiE
[08:40:04] <raevol> options menu doesn't work
[08:40:12] <raevol> cleric and mage books open, but on second click
[08:40:24] <raevol> character button seems to freeze the gui
[08:41:03] <lynxlynxlynx> one thing at a time please, otherwise it is hard to tell if the issues are separate or in a cascade
[08:41:08] <raevol> ok
[08:41:15] <raevol> options was teh first thing i clicked
[08:41:30] <raevol> and it makes the little click animation but no menu comes up
[08:41:38] <raevol> seems the most important, as it's how you quit the game
[08:41:41] <lynxlynxlynx> yeah, due to the error
[08:48:12] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian 07bg1-import-cleanup * r75dc29d0090d 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUIOPT.py: bg1: some guiopt fixes
[08:48:44] <raevol> gogo?
[08:48:47] <lynxlynxlynx> wait
[08:48:52] <raevol> ok
[08:49:01] <raevol> heh that grep made my terminal text yellow
[08:49:53] <lynxlynxlynx> our fault
[08:50:03] <lynxlynxlynx> the next run will fix it
[08:50:10] <raevol> no worries
[08:50:14] <raevol> it's amusing :)
[08:50:14] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian 07bg1-import-cleanup * r4d549189c563 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUIREC.py: bg1: two guirec fixes
[08:50:16] <lynxlynxlynx> continue
[08:51:09] <raevol> gui is gone again
[08:51:48] <raevol> http://pastebin.com/rTUuD489
[08:53:48] <lynxlynxlynx> i made a loop
[08:54:08] <raevol> is it like: O
[08:58:10] <lynxlynxlynx> 8
[08:58:21] <raevol> hehe
[09:03:18] <lynxlynxlynx> try that
[09:03:35] <raevol> is it in?
[09:03:37] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian 07bg1-import-cleanup * rca97739f058e 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUIREC.py: bg1: another guirec fix
[09:03:50] <raevol> yup
[09:04:32] <raevol> hmm still no gui
[09:05:31] <raevol> pretty similar to last time: http://pastebin.com/iUTZ4GkS
[09:06:40] <lynxlynxlynx> hmpf
[09:08:13] <lynxlynxlynx> ooh
[09:08:18] <lynxlynxlynx> you have leftover files
[09:08:22] <raevol> ah mebe?
[09:08:30] <lynxlynxlynx> rm /home/raevol/Development/gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/*/LevelUp.py
[09:08:44] <fuzzie> and the pyc?
[09:08:46] <lynxlynxlynx> rm /home/raevol/Development/gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/*/TextScreen.py
[09:08:49] <lynxlynxlynx> yes
[09:09:33] <raevol> both say no such file or directory
[09:09:43] <lynxlynxlynx> add a c to the end
[09:09:52] <lynxlynxlynx> -> TextScreen.pyc
[09:10:07] <raevol> that did it
[09:10:09] <raevol> ok trying to run
[09:10:13] <lynxlynxlynx> you deleted both?
[09:10:15] <fuzzie> shhould really find a way to automate this :(
[09:10:31] <raevol> lynxlynxlynx: yes both
[09:10:33] <lynxlynxlynx> good
[09:10:42] <lynxlynxlynx> fuzzie: post-commit hook
[09:11:13] <lynxlynxlynx> i'll add it to my todo or maybe edheldil want's to play with it
[09:11:15] <raevol> options came up and closed fine, cleric and mage books came up fine, character record froze the game
[09:11:19] <raevol> getting grepped log
[09:11:23] <lynxlynxlynx> git detects moves and renames pretty well
[09:11:46] <fuzzie> a hook would help?
[09:11:47] <raevol> http://pastebin.com/RmMYxSBw
[09:12:06] <wjp> I think I'd probably prefer a make rule to any hooks
[09:12:23] <fuzzie> ah, a volunteer!
[09:12:25] * fuzzie puts the hat on wjp
[09:12:53] <wjp> oooh, look at the time; I should get back to work ;-)
[09:13:45] <lynxlynxlynx> you don't need to run make after changing guiscripts
[09:13:54] <wjp> not currently, no :-)
[09:14:10] <raevol> ok :P
[09:14:18] <raevol> haha how can you tell i did
[09:14:18] <fuzzie> but almost everyone is going to run make after changing guiscripts
[09:14:32] <fuzzie> such as our example in hand here :)
[09:14:37] <raevol> :P
[09:15:09] <wjp> I wouldn't want to limit this behaviour to git repositories; it would be nice to have it work with release tarballs too
[09:15:50] <fuzzie> well, you can't automatically install hooks anyway, for obvious reasons
[09:16:07] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian 07bg1-import-cleanup * r50d03a9ce8c3 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUIREC.py: bg1: canlevelup is in guicommon
[09:16:11] <lynxlynxlynx> oh right
[09:16:24] <lynxlynxlynx> wjp: release tarballs are unaffected
[09:16:44] <raevol> go again?
[09:17:20] <lynxlynxlynx> aha
[09:19:48] <edheldil> Makefile rule would be better. Won't work on 'doze, though:)
[09:21:44] <lynxlynxlynx> ideally python would be patched up to not use the cache if the original is missing
[09:22:24] <fuzzie> the trouble is, things actually get shipped as .pyc files without source
[09:23:47] <lynxlynxlynx> bleh
[09:23:58] <fuzzie> yes
[09:24:06] <raevol> lynxlynxlynx: should i go again with that commit? or wait?
[09:25:13] <lynxlynxlynx> go :)
[09:25:24] <lynxlynxlynx> aha - yes
[09:25:34] <raevol> ah ok
[09:26:16] <raevol> character record still freezes up the game, is that what we are looking at?
[09:26:31] <lynxlynxlynx> sure
[09:27:12] <raevol> http://pastebin.com/cVD45Vbv
[09:28:19] <lynxlynxlynx> bah
[09:28:28] <lynxlynxlynx> why did these get missed by my bot
[09:28:32] <raevol> lullll
[09:30:20] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian 07bg1-import-cleanup * r8777817155a8 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUIREC.py: bg1: IsDualClassed is from guicommon
[09:31:32] <raevol> ok character record works now
[09:31:44] <raevol> reform party broke something but let me get a log with less flailing
[09:32:41] <raevol> is that even implemented anyway?
[09:32:58] <raevol> http://pastebin.com/j9H2hV88
[09:33:21] <raevol> when i clicked reform party my gui went away
[09:33:34] <raevol> the world and characters persisted and i could move them around, but couldn't get the gui back
[09:34:32] <lynxlynxlynx> there
[09:34:40] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian 07bg1-import-cleanup * r2bd3368661d4 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUIWORLD.py: bg1: guiworld needs GUICommon
[09:38:51] <raevol> that was strange
[09:39:19] <raevol> since i am running at that odd resolution, different in-game screens have the side buttons in different places
[09:39:31] <raevol> the main game screen has them on the top left of my screen for example
[09:40:02] <raevol> but most of the rest, like inventory, options, have the side buttons on the side of the screen, which exists in the middle of my monitor at the original game resolution
[09:40:05] <raevol> does that make sense?
[09:40:08] <raevol> but the thing i saw
[09:40:18] <lynxlynxlynx> yes
[09:40:23] <lynxlynxlynx> not related
[09:40:30] <raevol> is that through some sequence of going to the character record and playing in the inventory and back to the game
[09:40:52] <raevol> i was able to get a duplicate set of side buttons floating over the game screen where they would be if the inventory was open
[09:41:03] <raevol> i can't seem to nail down exactly how i did it though :( i'll keep trying
[09:41:04] <lynxlynxlynx> ignore this for now
[09:41:10] <raevol> ah, really? ok
[09:41:18] <edheldil> well, but on Linux (at least on Debian/buntu) the *.pyc files are not distributed, only *.py files. So maybe some function in the startuop could clean pyc files with py file missing. But that still looks like an ugly hack
[09:41:44] <fuzzie> i think our only options are ugly hacks
[09:41:52] <fuzzie> along with the 2.6 thing tomprince mentioned
[09:42:03] <raevol> well if you want me to ignore that lynx, i am going to get some sleep
[09:42:11] <raevol> gotta be up in 3 hours for first day of work :/
[09:42:55] <lynxlynxlynx> ups
[09:42:58] <lynxlynxlynx> good luck
[09:43:04] <raevol> thanks
[09:43:06] <raevol> ttys guys
[09:43:20] <raevol> if you see me on and need bg1 testing feel free to ping me
[09:43:30] <-- raevol has left IRC (Quit: Leaving.)
[09:44:31] <lynxlynxlynx> edheldil: not a bad idea
[09:49:34] <edheldil> how comes that a pyc file is even called, btw? If the SomeFile.py file was deleted, then nothing should import SomeFile, no?
[09:50:00] <edheldil> or is it due to search path and common dirs?
[09:50:23] <fuzzie> python treats pyc files the same as py files
[09:50:35] <fuzzie> like i said, some software doesn't even ship py files to users, only the pyc files
[09:50:52] <fuzzie> oh, i see what you mean - yes, it is due to search path
[09:51:00] <fuzzie> if LevelUp.py gets moved, then it is picking up the old one
[10:49:30] <-- Gekz_ has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[10:50:06] --> Gekz has joined #GemRb
[11:01:21] <-- Gekz has left IRC (Changing host)
[11:01:21] --> Gekz has joined #GemRb
[12:14:14] --> budlust_ has joined #GemRb
[12:17:33] <-- budlust has left IRC (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)
[12:18:29] <-- budlust_ has left IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[12:28:46] <pupnik> gemrb on pandora sighted http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/53848-has-anyone-done-anything-on-gemrb/page__st__15__p__878630&#entry878630
[12:30:02] <pupnik> ". Loading a savegame takes about 3 minutes"
[12:30:58] <fuzzie> well, testing 0.6.0 is useless :)
[12:31:32] <fuzzie> i mean, nice to know it works, but any performance complaints are useless
[12:32:24] <fuzzie> same for most of the rest of the thread, really
[12:34:56] <pupnik> ah
[12:35:07] <lynxlynxlynx> i'm not sure whether to be happy or sad that none of the porters ever talk to us
[12:35:19] <pupnik> it means good work, i think
[12:35:40] <lynxlynxlynx> coudl be most of their issues is getting the prereqs (happy)
[12:35:53] <fuzzie> it is far more frustrating when porters fix issues and don't hand the fixes upstream
[12:36:00] <fuzzie> which doesn't really seem to happen with gemrb
[12:36:10] <fuzzie> but is not uncommon for other projects
[12:36:22] <lynxlynxlynx> but they don't even complain on what they'd like to see us improve
[12:36:23] <fuzzie> but someone did post the pandora video on our forums.
[12:36:34] <lynxlynxlynx> i can think only of the no-right-click thing
[12:37:14] <pupnik> I gave feedback on 770
[12:37:18] <lynxlynxlynx> ... because i doubt the situation is so ideal they only have to deal with the building setup
[12:37:23] <fuzzie> and i assume that discussion about starting positions came from this
[12:38:08] <lynxlynxlynx> pupnik: long ago
[13:13:16] <edheldil> there's also the strange note that you have to start gemrb from data install dir
[13:20:03] --> Gekz_ has joined #GemRb
[13:20:09] <-- Gekz_ has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:05:36] --> tomprince_loki has joined #GemRb
[15:05:54] <tomprince_loki> Morning.
[15:06:30] <-- roobie|_| has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:08:44] <fuzzie> g'morning
[15:11:45] <fuzzie> i committed a leak fix for your CObject code; seemed easier to fix it there than to try fixing the function to take ownership of the reference, but don't know what you might want to do
[15:14:30] <tomprince_loki> I saw that. I think that fix probably makes sense.
[15:15:57] <edheldil> hi, tom
[15:16:02] <tomprince_loki> Hello.
[15:18:14] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r74df6901659a 10gemrb/gemrb/core/SaveGameIterator.cpp: Delete some commented out code.
[15:18:48] <fuzzie> i hope that one is good too..
[15:19:17] <tomprince_loki> Yes.
[15:19:23] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r80b280d68ce9 10gemrb/gemrb/core/SaveGameIterator.cpp: Remove unused header file.
[15:22:39] --> Avenger has joined #GemRb
[15:22:44] <Avenger> hi
[15:22:47] <fuzzie> re the soundsource branch: is it not possible to have the source classes inside NullSound/OpenALAudio?
[15:23:21] <fuzzie> mostly wondering because i'd like to avoid having the openal code spread across multiple files
[15:23:48] <fuzzie> hi Avenger
[15:24:04] <edheldil> Hi, Avenger
[15:25:59] <tomprince_loki> Could. I would rather keep everything in one directory, rather than in one file.
[15:26:15] <fuzzie> well, the implementation is semi-invasive anyway
[15:26:35] <fuzzie> so i'm just pondering
[15:26:55] <fuzzie> since i'm unlikely to get around to it before you're on vacation, so unless you do it, would be nice to get your skeleton committed
[15:27:59] <tomprince_loki> I won't get around to it before I go. But I could commit the skeleton.
[15:28:11] <fuzzie> the pandora people were reporting sound issues, i think probably performance-related, but since they're still testing on 0.6.0, i can't tell if there's a real problem there.
[15:29:20] <fuzzie> 0.6.1 ought to be a big improvement for I/O, at least :)
[15:30:26] <Avenger> huge memory leaks can slow down a small machine
[15:30:58] <fuzzie> 0.6.0 is the one from last year
[15:31:01] <tomprince_loki> My personal inclination would be to move away from all the monolithic classes, that in a bunch of cases are really effectively globals anyway.
[15:31:20] <fuzzie> well, i would like to do that where it makes sense
[15:31:26] <fuzzie> use GameData for when we do really want globals
[15:31:47] <fuzzie> split SDLVideo into classes for SDL video and the rest of SDL
[15:31:52] <fuzzie> etc
[15:32:22] <Avenger> part of sdlvideo could actually be moved down to video
[15:32:38] <fuzzie> but when you have global state with an external library like OpenAL or SDL, there's only so far you can go
[15:33:36] <tomprince_loki> Sure. And even global state is better encasuplated through a narrow interface.
[15:33:53] <fuzzie> well, i disagree
[15:34:00] <fuzzie> but i go for simplicity over abstraction :)
[15:34:43] <fuzzie> otherwise i think you'll end up with 2 lines of actual code and 50 lines of interface here
[15:34:45] <Avenger> i don't like layers over layers, but exploding overly large files or removing redundancy is fine
[15:35:02] <Avenger> so i guess i agree with fuzzie
[15:35:29] <fuzzie> well, i don't provide any actual examples :P but the sound stuff in the source class itself is really trivial, all the work is in global bookkeeping
[15:36:16] <fuzzie> and the only other place i can think of right now is GUIScript, where tomprince argued that everything should just be a global :)
[15:36:48] <fuzzie> and, in fact, we still have that public: thing punching a hole in the encapsulation
[15:37:53] <Avenger> guiscript would be fine if it could be exploded
[15:37:58] <Avenger> it is a huge file
[15:38:20] <Avenger> 275k source :)
[15:38:25] <Avenger> not overly commented
[15:38:35] <fuzzie> well, the plan is to move some of it to python
[15:38:42] <fuzzie> specifically, the bits which people will want to mod
[15:39:18] <Avenger> yeah, that's fully in the spirit of gemrb (as long as it won't be slower)
[15:39:22] <fuzzie> and then it can be split into something like python bookkeeping, GUI stuff, actor stuff, and other stuff
[15:39:39] <fuzzie> although i have no plans to split it myself
[15:40:00] <fuzzie> and some stuff should be in the core, too
[15:40:00] <Avenger> but if you let tom do it, it will be a testcase for boost
[15:40:20] <tomprince_loki> :)
[15:40:50] <tomprince_loki> Nothing wrong with boost. ;)
[15:40:57] <fuzzie> well, there are a lot of things wrong with boost ;p
[15:41:04] <fuzzie> but that is what you get with a huge monolithic library
[15:41:28] <Avenger> IF we ever need to do regexp, i would let you move 4-5 files from boost :)
[15:41:45] <Avenger> i did that without moving the whole heap to my project
[15:41:56] <fuzzie> but if we remove all the junk from GUIScript, slim it down, and split it up, then maybe it is a candidate
[15:42:11] <fuzzie> i think copying bits out of boost into the tree is not a bad plan, either
[15:42:21] <Avenger> but really only if you need it
[15:42:24] <fuzzie> i was talking to tomprince about taking a portable+fast hash map
[15:42:44] <Avenger> if you replace the monster Variables.cpp with it, it is fine
[15:42:50] <fuzzie> yes, that was the plan :)
[15:42:58] <fuzzie> i don't know if he looked at it any further
[15:43:27] <Avenger> but obviously it should support all the features with <= overhead. Otherwise it is just code porn :D
[15:44:24] <Avenger> i mean, just to have it covered by 10+ files all with 20-30 lines of code, and a major impact on speed/memory it doesn't worth it
[15:44:38] <fuzzie> yes
[15:46:01] <Avenger> the only bad thing i know about Variables is that it is somewhat stolen from mfc, that is a bit uncomfortable
[15:46:13] <fuzzie> it seemed to all get replaced
[15:46:24] <fuzzie> but it causes some portability problems
[15:46:33] <fuzzie> and it is terrible code really :)
[15:46:36] <Avenger> portability problems?
[15:46:40] <fuzzie> so if there is an alternative, i would like to be rid of it
[15:46:56] <Avenger> because of the pointer/int union?
[15:47:02] <fuzzie> i think so
[15:47:04] <fuzzie> some alignment issue
[15:47:25] <fuzzie> not the MyAssoc thing
[15:47:27] <Avenger> the alternative is to use some horrible template :)
[15:47:46] <fuzzie> well, llvm has some lightweight template thing
[15:47:53] <fuzzie> which tomprince was looking at
[15:48:09] <Avenger> hmm i thought it was the MyAssoc thing
[15:48:29] <fuzzie> but i had no time to look at it myself.
[15:48:42] <fuzzie> in theory last exam tomorrow but i think i stopped trusting the faculty at this point :)
[15:50:16] <fuzzie> i guess ActorBlock is another candidate for splitting up
[15:51:09] <fuzzie> for a start, the name makes no sense :)
[15:52:33] <Avenger> inherited from Balrog
[15:52:44] <fuzzie> sure
[15:52:46] <Avenger> i guess it meant that all actor objects in one block :)
[15:53:14] <fuzzie> just easy to get lost in there
[15:53:16] <Avenger> i would call it Scriptable
[15:53:33] <Avenger> and maybe break off some of the classes
[15:53:46] <Avenger> it is probably easy to explode
[15:54:07] <Avenger> but it is a mere 53k
[15:54:36] <Avenger> I wish you could explode Actor.cpp
[15:54:55] <tomprince_loki> If it was broken into separate files, that group of files + Actor would be a candidate to split into a separate directory.
[15:55:12] <Avenger> the gui classes are too
[15:55:39] <fuzzie> yes, the gui classes are an obvious choice to move
[15:55:46] <fuzzie> i'm pretty sure we talked about that before
[15:56:41] <fuzzie> did you do another valgrind check, Avenger?
[15:56:47] <Avenger> yep, all stuff that inherits Control is one group and those inherits Scriptable is another group
[15:56:50] <Avenger> yes
[15:56:55] <Avenger> now in iwd2
[15:57:06] <fuzzie> it would be really nice if i could catch up on the leaks/bugfixes while i have time, also
[15:57:12] <Avenger> it is fine
[15:57:21] <Avenger> but i only loaded a game
[15:57:27] <Avenger> i think there is still a leak in scripts
[15:57:33] <Avenger> that's an ages old leak
[15:57:44] <fuzzie> GSUtils.cpp is another candidate for splitting which i think is on my todo list
[15:57:53] <fuzzie> but not a high priority, because tidying up doesn't fix anything..
[15:58:12] <Avenger> gsutils/gamescript/triggers/actions belong to another subdir
[15:58:46] <Avenger> that was so huge even i had to explode it :)
[16:00:33] <Avenger> then the small interfaces for plugins could be grouped together too?
[16:00:41] <fuzzie> yes
[16:00:42] <tomprince_loki> Should they be as subdirectories of core?
[16:00:47] <Avenger> yes
[16:00:58] <fuzzie> CharAnimations and PCStatStruct should probably go with Actor?
[16:01:13] <Avenger> well, it is a bit fishy
[16:01:15] <fuzzie> and the stream/VFS stuff could go in another subdirectory
[16:01:21] <Avenger> charanimations is used by projectile too
[16:01:30] <fuzzie> hm, ok, maybe not CharAnimations then
[16:01:46] <Avenger> pcstatstruct is fine
[16:01:58] <Avenger> that is really a specialization of actor
[16:02:29] <fuzzie> i think the actor stuff probably needs some thought; Spellbook, for example? Inventory, if the other scriptables go too?
[16:02:33] <Avenger> no need to move everything into a subdir
[16:02:44] <fuzzie> EffectQueue? i think the actor stuff can wait until someone thinks about it
[16:02:55] <Avenger> only if there are 5-10 files that clearly belong to a group
[16:03:04] <fuzzie> but the gui classes, the gamescript stuff and the small interfaces for plugins, those could all be moved right now
[16:03:08] <Avenger> effectqueue is used by many
[16:03:16] <Avenger> spells/items/actors/projectiles
[16:03:31] <Avenger> it is like polygon
[16:03:58] <fuzzie> the gui classes just being the generic ones, not things like GameControl
[16:04:07] <Avenger> hmm why?
[16:04:14] <Avenger> gamecontrol inherits Control too
[16:04:43] <fuzzie> but we have a lot of game logic in GameControl atm
[16:04:57] <fuzzie> i mean, i don't mind, just wondering
[16:04:59] <Avenger> that's true
[16:05:05] <fuzzie> i tried splitting it up a bit, but not so much so far
[16:05:13] <Avenger> but to be honest, we have 'some' game logic in TextArea too
[16:05:47] <Avenger> i meant this line --> if (gc && (gc->GetDialogueFlags()&DF_IN_DIALOG) ) {
[16:06:16] <Avenger> or this: if ((Flags & IE_GUI_TEXTAREA_SELECTABLE) || ( Key < '1' ) || ( Key > '9' ))
[16:06:16] <fuzzie> yes, i have been looking at that
[16:06:27] <Avenger> that is part of the dialog code
[16:06:31] <fuzzie> some of it should maybe be moved
[16:06:52] <Avenger> well, only if the result is better for the end user
[16:06:55] <fuzzie> so that it can be modded to different input methods
[16:07:01] <Avenger> i agree it is unclean, but well :)
[16:07:44] <Avenger> i don't really intend to reuse these gui classes for another project, even if i do, i would just cut out the cruft :)
[16:07:44] <fuzzie> but that can come some other time
[16:09:01] <fuzzie> we were discussing some better way to handle the message window magic+buffers in here the other day, i forget if you were here
[16:09:04] <Avenger> what we need is to complete the few still missing features, they are getting really thin now :)
[16:09:18] <fuzzie> and the bugfixes :(
[16:09:28] <Avenger> yep, the bugfixes, without adding new bugs
[16:10:04] <fuzzie> why do ToB characters appear without spells/skills/etc?
[16:10:11] <Avenger> huh
[16:10:16] <fuzzie> i remember someone explaining it, but i can't find it in the logs
[16:10:17] <Avenger> bad importer?
[16:10:26] <fuzzie> no, they are being spawned by the dialog thing
[16:10:42] <Avenger> in the pocketplane?
[16:10:44] <fuzzie> yes
[16:10:53] <Avenger> some scripting bug?
[16:11:11] <Avenger> they should be characters from the savegame
[16:11:14] <Avenger> in the npc section
[16:11:20] <Avenger> not plain cre files
[16:11:39] <Avenger> so the engine should use the ones in the Game struct
[16:11:44] <Avenger> i thought it works
[16:12:12] --> |Cable| has joined #GemRb
[16:12:12] <Avenger> though... there is some weird level compensation for npcs we didn't implement yet
[16:12:45] <Avenger> it can affect bg1/bg2/tob
[16:14:11] <Avenger> maybe that's the case?
[16:14:33] <Avenger> the creatures in the game file are only placeholders that need to be replaced by <name><level>.cre
[16:14:37] <fuzzie> i don't know; it's just a simple CreateCreature("Keldor14",[1999.1218],0)
[16:14:46] <fuzzie> or similar
[16:15:57] <Avenger> really?
[16:16:30] <Avenger> ok, keldorn is a special case, he isn't in the starting savegame
[16:16:37] <Avenger> i guess he is added to it by MakeGlobal
[16:16:38] <fuzzie> well, if you say that the creatures in the game file are placeholders, then i guess that is where they should get replaced?
[16:17:02] <Avenger> but most other npcs are spawned by the data from the save game
[16:17:03] <fuzzie> the only MakeGlobal is on Sarevok, i think
[16:17:20] <Avenger> keldorn is not in the savegame, so he needs one too
[16:17:30] <edheldil> bye
[16:17:35] --- edheldil is now known as Ed_away
[16:17:36] <Avenger> oops, i wasn't correct
[16:17:38] <Avenger> it is there
[16:17:41] <Avenger> keldorn8
[16:18:17] <fuzzie> Aerie12, Minsc14, Jahei14, Cernd14, Anomen12, Edwin15, Haer19
[16:18:21] <fuzzie> these numbers indicate level?
[16:18:25] <Avenger> yes
[16:18:28] <fuzzie> confusing
[16:18:50] <Avenger> but there are several of them, and the most appropriate is cloned
[16:19:05] <Avenger> at first meeting
[16:19:21] <Avenger> there should be a flag somewhere in the cre or game struct
[16:24:21] <Avenger> ok, i think it is the 'was in party' flag
[16:24:38] <Avenger> as long as the actor wasn't in the party, it can level up with the party
[16:24:52] <Avenger> but this should be tested
[16:28:43] <Avenger> see you later!
[16:28:45] <-- Avenger has left IRC (Quit: bye!)
[16:35:40] <-- tomprince_loki has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[16:36:12] --> tomprince_loki has joined #GemRb
[16:38:37] <-- tomprince_loki has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[16:46:14] --> tomprince_loki has joined #GemRb
[17:46:01] <tomprince_loki> or.cz/split-dir is the start of splitting things into subdirectories.
[17:48:08] <fuzzie> well, as i noted, i'm not convinced about GameControl
[17:48:53] <fuzzie> it definitely belongs in the GUI directory as a *class*, but it means that the GUI directory can never be treated just as "GUI components which don't really affect the game at all"
[17:49:51] <fuzzie> but if you think it's fine, it looks ok
[17:51:17] <fuzzie> and i appreciate the work :)
[17:59:49] <-- Maighstir_laptop has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[17:59:50] <-- pupnik has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[17:59:53] <-- tomprince_loki has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[17:59:53] <-- lynxlynxlynx has left IRC (*.net *.split)
[18:01:02] --> tomprince_loki has joined #GemRb
[18:01:02] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #GemRb
[18:01:02] --> pupnik has joined #GemRb
[18:05:14] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r1c35098e9ac8 10gemrb/gemrb/docs/en/CodingStyle.txt: Update CodingStyle to reflect subdirectories of core.
[18:05:18] <tomprince_loki> Well, perhaps the right thing to do is to move code out of it until it is? The dialog logic, for example, probably doesn't belong there, the keyboard logic is moving to python.
[18:05:25] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r16a7396e19a8 10gemrb/gemrb/ (76 files in 8 dirs): Split off GUI directory.
[18:05:27] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * reb62c43f9635 10gemrb/gemrb/ (26 files in 5 dirs): Split Scriptable into a subdirectory.
[18:05:28] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r8727461f6728 10gemrb/gemrb/ (75 files in 20 dirs): Split system dependant files into System subdirectory.
[18:05:30] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * ra8f0e251ad12 10gemrb/gemrb/core/ (7 files in 2 dirs): Move PCStatStruct to Scriptable.
[18:05:32] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r7fa2ea83b9ec 10gemrb/gemrb/ (29 files in 9 dirs): Split GameScript into subdirectory.
[18:05:42] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * ree40abda0a93 10gemrb/gemrb/core/ (7 files in 2 dirs): Move EventMgr to GUI.
[18:06:02] <fuzzie> some of the logic really does belong there, though.
[18:06:14] <fuzzie> it *is* the GameControl. :)
[18:06:29] <fuzzie> obviously there are a whole bunch of candidates for moving to another class, though.
[18:06:41] <fuzzie> and, drat, rebase time :(
[18:07:25] <tomprince_loki> I think merges would be fine.
[18:08:13] <fuzzie> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `Console.cpp', needed by `Console.lo'. Stop.
[18:08:37] <tomprince_loki> And unless you changed header files around, there shouldn't be much conflict.
[18:08:43] <fuzzie> i did :)
[18:08:47] <tomprince_loki> Any other errors?
[18:09:06] <fuzzie> i am building on my poor atom, so it will be a few minutes to see
[18:09:22] <tomprince_loki> :)
[18:09:50] <tomprince_loki> My build bot is down right now, so I didn't verify the autotools build ... obviously.
[18:10:23] <fuzzie> hm
[18:10:36] <fuzzie> i hate autotools :(
[18:11:15] <fuzzie> must find time to see if i can hack the in-tree cmake to be usable for me with an option or something
[18:11:33] <tomprince_loki> What is the issue you have with it?
[18:12:35] <fuzzie> my development branch has hacks for pthread, and to stop cmake from re-linking every .so
[18:12:57] <fuzzie> i think that's it
[18:18:26] <fuzzie> i can't help but think there's something else, but don't have it here
[18:20:27] <tomprince_loki> I have a fix for the second one here, testing right now.
[18:22:10] <tomprince_loki> The first, you could probably hack by adding -lpthread to DLD_LIBRARY_PATH.
[18:22:57] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03fuzzie * r8079efe820eb 10gemrb/gemrb/core/Makefile.am: fix autotools build
[18:23:16] <fuzzie> i think the -lpthread thing should really be fixed for everyone on linux, if it's not fixed in gdb
[18:23:24] <fuzzie> but i didn't check if it were fixed in gdb.
[18:26:59] <fuzzie> hmm, you can't drop scrolls in containers now?
[18:27:01] <fuzzie> i thought that worked
[18:27:26] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r4ad0bd420d49 10gemrb/CMakeLists.txt: cmake: Add option to skip verifying that plugins can load.
[18:29:32] <fuzzie> this flickering is really getting on my nerves
[18:29:39] <tomprince_loki> Deliberately undocumented.
[18:29:53] <fuzzie> sure, not documenting it is fine
[18:30:10] <fuzzie> did someone change the window destroying code for bg2?
[18:30:47] --> anji has joined #GemRb
[18:30:50] * fuzzie sighs
[18:31:27] <fuzzie> we've really got to take some time to stop and fix bugs, sometime
[18:31:35] <fuzzie> that SetEventByName stuff was hiding various stupid bugs
[18:32:43] <fuzzie> newest discovery: KitInfoWindow() in bg2's GUIREC does 'global KitInfoWindow' and promptly uses that as storage for a window
[18:36:18] <-- tomprince_loki has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[18:36:58] <fuzzie> i guess i have to bisect to find the broken window destroying, so not now
[18:40:22] --> tomprince_loki has joined #GemRb
[18:40:25] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03fuzzie * r2623b06a71c1 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg2/GUIREC.py: rename KitInfoWindow function to avoid name conflict with variable
[18:40:51] <tomprince_loki> What is the isssue with window destroying?
[18:41:23] <fuzzie> windows are being destroyed somewhere before they're quite finished with
[18:41:40] <fuzzie> i don't see that anything relevant has changed, so it's weird
[18:42:02] <tomprince_loki> The C++ object is destroyed before python is done with it?
[18:42:33] <fuzzie> i think it's not actually destroyed, just marked
[18:43:16] <fuzzie> but i keep finding these other bugs in the meantime
[18:52:45] <fuzzie> i just feel like it's impossible to keep up
[18:52:59] <fuzzie> so bit frustrated right now
[18:53:53] <fuzzie> this next bug is SetEventByName "SelectFormation" being auto-converted to GUICommon.SelectFormation
[18:56:11] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03fuzzie * ra895d62226e9 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/pst/GUIWORLD.py: fix pst formation selection
[19:07:35] <tomprince_loki> Well, I don't know about what lynxlynxlynx is doing, but you will have several months to catch up with me, anyway. :)
[19:11:54] <fuzzie> well, and to try taking up the reins of refactoring the rest :p
[19:12:47] <fuzzie> but this is just the guiscripts being terrible, and lynx's changes showing this up, thanks to your SetEvent code
[19:14:21] <fuzzie> it's just that a few months ago, i could happily stick my head in the sand and just fiddle with the bits which i was fixing right then :)
[19:18:35] <tomprince_loki> Does this look sensible: http://pastie.org/1022241
[19:19:19] <tomprince_loki> I want to move the object functions to a separate file, and so the file static bool would be needed in a different file.
[19:19:59] <fuzzie> it looks ok
[19:20:20] <fuzzie> weird code, really
[19:21:00] <fuzzie> but, sure, go ahead
[19:21:14] <fuzzie> i would like to see any moving commits before you do them, though
[19:21:29] <fuzzie> since it looks like i'm maintaining that code, and i would really prefer any related code stay together..
[19:21:48] <fuzzie> i have a hard enough time keeping track of what's where as it is
[19:24:30] <fuzzie> moving all the object+ids stuff out makes perfect sense though
[19:26:57] <tomprince_loki> Should they be together?
[19:27:10] <tomprince_loki> Or separately.
[19:27:15] <fuzzie> i would prefer them together
[19:27:38] <fuzzie> unless you have a plan for bundling the ids stuff with something else
[19:28:19] <fuzzie> maybe i should describe this better in terms of what i don't want: i don't want to have a huge number of tiny source files
[19:28:33] --> Avenger has joined #GemRb
[19:28:34] <fuzzie> because i go crazy
[19:28:36] --- ChanServ gives channel operator status to Avenger
[19:30:20] <fuzzie> but if the ids functions are better off somewhere else, that seems fine
[19:32:33] <Avenger> what's the problem
[19:32:46] <fuzzie> no problem
[19:33:09] <fuzzie> tomprince is wondering about moving functions, and i'm pleading that we don't end up with a lot of tiny .cpp files
[19:33:24] <fuzzie> just a continuation of what you said earlier, i guess :)
[19:33:25] <tomprince_loki> or.cz/object
[19:34:03] <fuzzie> git blame still works fine?
[19:34:12] <fuzzie> can't pull that right now
[19:34:43] <fuzzie> the targets stuff should maybe be in the same file, too
[19:36:45] <fuzzie> then could maybe move the GSUtils object stuff in there, and finally have it all in the same place, just in time to try making it actually work properly
[19:37:05] <Avenger> the makefiles seem to be broken
[19:37:14] <Avenger> i guess someone just fixed cmake?
[19:37:17] <fuzzie> no
[19:37:20] <fuzzie> autotools is being stupid
[19:37:22] <fuzzie> i can't work out why
[19:37:30] <fuzzie> i re-ran autogen.sh and it worked for me after that
[19:38:13] <fuzzie> i guess a make clean would probably do the same
[19:38:48] <tomprince_loki> I'd be inclined to keep the pages of ObjectFunction and IDSFunction in a separate file from other stuff.
[19:38:57] <Avenger> noinst_HEADERS = *.h won't cover the moved headers
[19:39:06] <Avenger> i don't know if that is relevant, though
[19:39:12] <fuzzie> tomprince_loki: well, at some point you make almost-empty .cpp files
[19:40:50] <fuzzie> but no big problem to worry about it later
[19:41:38] <Avenger> autogen.sh didn't help me
[19:41:53] <Avenger> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Button.cpp', needed by `Button.lo'. Stop.
[19:41:54] <fuzzie> well
[19:41:55] <fuzzie> yes
[19:42:00] <fuzzie> the thing is, Button.cpp doesn't exist
[19:42:03] <fuzzie> so autotools is being stupid
[19:42:07] <fuzzie> try a make clean, i guess?
[19:42:21] <fuzzie> i mean, i assume you got the latest checkout :)
[19:42:40] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * reb1d3bcac5c5 10gemrb/gemrb/core/ (4 files in 2 dirs): GameScript: Split object functions.
[19:42:45] <Avenger> yes
[19:42:51] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r11649a2edfed 10gemrb/gemrb/core/GameScript/GameScript.cpp: GameScript: Make scope of charnameisgabber smaller.
[19:43:33] <fuzzie> would be nice if CIA got things in the right order :P
[19:43:44] <Avenger> btw, i get Could not chdir to home directory ... in git pull
[19:43:53] <fuzzie> that is sourceforge being broken
[19:44:17] <fuzzie> same happens for all sf projects i try pull/push with today
[19:44:18] <Avenger> so this isn't just me
[19:44:30] <Avenger> i guess it was already reported then
[19:45:06] <fuzzie> well, i don't know, but it happens for me too, at least :)
[19:45:35] <Avenger> i need to remove all .Plo files from .deps, it seems
[19:45:40] <Avenger> make clean doesn't do that
[19:45:43] <fuzzie> huh :(
[19:45:55] <Avenger> and then i do an autogen.sh
[19:46:00] <fuzzie> this kind of thing is why everyone is giving up on autotools
[19:46:22] <Avenger> well, i'm sure it is just bad configuration :)
[19:46:41] <fuzzie> well, maybe, but i have yet to meet anyone who knows how to make it work :)
[19:47:15] <fuzzie> maybe i should go stand outside GUADEC with a "will swap cookies for autotools expertise" sign, it is here in just a month
[19:47:37] <fuzzie> hmm
[19:47:54] <Avenger> well, i worked it out, manually, how hard would be to add removing those files in autogen.sh
[19:47:57] <fuzzie> cmake globs *.cpp? that's annoying
[19:49:14] <Avenger> whoa, simple compilation forced an increased fan speed
[19:49:30] <fuzzie> hehe, 'simple compilation'? :)
[19:49:34] <Avenger> core heat increased to 52 C
[19:49:51] <Avenger> compiling gemrb causes a meltdown here :P
[19:50:05] <fuzzie> compilers are one of the most CPU-hungry things i ever use
[19:50:08] <Avenger> ok, it works now
[19:50:23] <Avenger> well, it didn't do this before, only flash did it to me
[19:50:44] <Avenger> and 3d games, of course
[19:50:47] <fuzzie> well, compilers almost always use 100% cpu
[19:51:09] <fuzzie> i guess whether that turns on your fan depends on how dusty your computer is and whether something is using graphics in the background :)
[19:52:20] <Avenger> it was cleaned recently :)
[19:52:31] <Avenger> and gemrb doesn't heat it up
[19:53:12] <fuzzie> i was going to say gemrb doesn't use all the cpu here, but on my laptop it is trying to use two cores
[19:54:29] <Avenger> hehe, bg1 credits movie is funny
[19:54:40] <Avenger> well, mostly the soundtrack
[19:54:44] <fuzzie> Tiax rules!
[19:56:04] <Avenger> just testing the gui stuff in bg1
[19:56:35] <Avenger> OpenPartyWindow is unfinished, or broken now?
[19:57:56] <tomprince_loki> My guess, broken. bg1 hasn't been cleaned up following the import changes. lynxlynxlynx has a branch that does some of it, but I don't think it is quite finished yet.
[19:58:20] <fuzzie> it just isn't implemented, i thought
[19:58:29] <fuzzie> i mean, OpenPartyWindow was never implemented, i thought
[19:58:36] <Avenger> pressing tab brings up hit points, that's nice, i didn't know we had it
[19:58:46] <Avenger> problem is, it never goes away...
[19:59:00] <Avenger> oh it does
[19:59:01] <fuzzie> hehe, the hit points is a one-minute hack by lynx which sets overhead text :)
[19:59:11] <fuzzie> got to do it properly sometime
[19:59:21] <Avenger> it just fades out like other text
[19:59:24] <fuzzie> you're trying the bg1 gui branch, Avenger?
[19:59:30] <Avenger> yes
[19:59:32] <fuzzie> ok.
[19:59:39] <Avenger> oh wait
[19:59:40] <Avenger> no
[19:59:46] <Avenger> i never downloaded any branches
[20:00:04] <Avenger> at least not consciously ;)
[20:00:09] <fuzzie> well, lynx has a branch for bg1 gui changes
[20:00:18] <fuzzie> because he doesn't have a copy of bg1 to test it with
[20:00:34] <fuzzie> so testing bg1 in git is a bit pointless, probably :)
[20:01:25] <Avenger> well if he doesn't have bg1, then someone should do it
[20:01:33] <fuzzie> raevol tested most of it this morning
[20:03:41] <Avenger> actually, i like how the tab works
[20:03:59] <fuzzie> well, we can make it an option, i guess :p
[20:04:01] <Avenger> you don't have to keep pressing it, but it goes away eventually
[20:04:15] <Avenger> so it is the best of both worlds
[20:04:16] <fuzzie> kind of the point of gemrb :)
[20:04:29] <fuzzie> i find it annoyingly distracting while i'm playing, though, so i want the option of making it go away
[20:04:46] <Avenger> it goes away, just not instantly
[20:06:08] <fuzzie> well, ok, i want the option of making it go away instantly ;p
[20:06:29] <tomprince_loki> Make TAB a toggle?
[20:06:56] <fuzzie> and now we have three options :)
[20:07:24] <fuzzie> there are far more annoying issues, like the lack of pretty blinking over portraits
[20:07:31] <Avenger> there is already a fade timer, i think
[20:08:19] <Avenger> #define MAX_DELAY 6000
[20:11:37] <Avenger> hmm the blinking should be added to the control somehow
[20:11:52] <fuzzie> it's not that simple, the gamecontrol has to know about it
[20:13:18] <fuzzie> but i didn't think about it
[20:13:36] <Avenger> no need to have it in sync with the feet circle
[20:13:52] <Avenger> you can calculate it simply in button
[20:14:10] <fuzzie> oh, sure, i just mean, the important bit is the feet circle blink :p
[20:14:12] <Avenger> no need to build a new channel of data flow
[20:14:28] <Avenger> just set the border to be blinking
[20:14:51] <Avenger> the button can do it on its own, once it knows the border is blinking
[20:14:52] <fuzzie> i don't think anyone will notice if they're not in sync, but the actor code has to be told to blink or not, too
[20:15:20] <Avenger> for the portrait border?
[20:15:38] <fuzzie> maybe i state the problem first: if you hover over a portrait, the actor foot circle should blink
[20:15:46] <Avenger> yes
[20:15:51] <Avenger> i thought it already does
[20:16:13] <Avenger> it does
[20:16:19] <fuzzie> oh, really?
[20:16:26] <Avenger> oh no
[20:16:34] <Avenger> only if you hover over the actor
[20:16:35] <fuzzie> i don't care about the button blinking really
[20:16:51] <fuzzie> oh, and we have some problems with actor animations
[20:16:56] <fuzzie> maybe you hate me asking this
[20:17:24] <Avenger> we have so many little problems
[20:17:41] <fuzzie> zefklop moved projectile shooting to the animation drawing code, because arrows need to be shot in sync with the right animation frame
[20:17:53] <fuzzie> do you have any idea how the original engine does that?
[20:18:06] <Avenger> yes there is some frame counting
[20:18:32] <fuzzie> we don't update animations when actors are off-screen right now, so our code doesn't really work
[20:18:40] <Avenger> huh
[20:18:46] <fuzzie> i'm just wondering what the correct fix is, we should still increase frames when an actor isn't drawn?
[20:18:53] <Avenger> you mean offscreen guys cannot attack?
[20:18:57] <fuzzie> yes
[20:19:00] <Avenger> lol
[20:19:02] <fuzzie> yes :P
[20:19:14] <Avenger> shrodinger's cat
[20:19:26] <fuzzie> is the NPC dead or not? :)
[20:20:00] <fuzzie> but lynx found this, and i was wondering whether we do the wrong thing by frame-counting
[20:20:48] <wjp> the old side-effects-in-Draw()-functions thing :-(
[20:21:12] <fuzzie> well, when the side effect is "update the animation to the next frame", it doesn't seem entirely incorrect that it's in Draw()
[20:23:33] <fuzzie> but it's easy to fix, if we should just be updating the frame numbers
[20:25:54] * fuzzie puts some more hats on wjp's head
[20:26:39] * wjp has a figure-out-ida's-16-bit-debugging hat on at the moment
[20:26:54] <fuzzie> that sounds like less fun than this
[20:27:09] <wjp> it is quite frustrating yes
[20:27:21] --> Maighstir_laptop has joined #GemRb
[20:52:58] <-- tomprince_loki has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[20:53:06] --> tomprince_loki has joined #GemRb
[20:56:31] <Avenger> fuzzie, the portrait hover->flicker thing is almost done
[21:03:39] <Avenger> done
[21:03:52] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03avenger_teambg * r058a58195161 10gemrb/gemrb/core/GUI/ (GameControl.cpp GameControl.h): added feet circle flicker when hovering over portrait
[21:03:52] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03avenger_teambg * re1d9bcfab031 10gemrb/gemrb/plugins/GUIScript/GUIScript.cpp: added feet circle flicker when hovering over portrait
[21:03:54] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03avenger_teambg * r76933b789e01 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg2/GUICommonWindows.py: added feet circle flicker when hovering over portrait
[21:04:17] <Avenger> i'll just have to learn how to add multiple files to the same transaction
[21:12:21] --> pupnik_ has joined #GemRb
[21:13:16] <fuzzie> ^.^
[21:13:17] <fuzzie> awesome
[21:13:28] <fuzzie> i will look at it tomorrow
[21:15:58] <-- pupnik has left IRC (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[21:22:51] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03tom.prince * r68615213928f 10gemrb/ (5 files in 5 dirs):
[21:22:51] <CIA-23> GemRB: cmake: Add option to link all plugins statically.
[21:22:51] <CIA-23> GemRB: Pass -DSTATIC_LINK=Yes to cmake, to link all plugins (and gemrb_core) into
[21:22:51] <CIA-23> GemRB: gemrb. This shouldn't affect a normal build.
[21:22:51] <CIA-23> GemRB: Signed-off-by: Tom Prince <tom.prince@ualberta.net>
[21:25:19] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03avenger_teambg * r51c8d3d7b5d0 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/iwd/GUICommonWindows.py: synced up IWD GUICommonWindows.py with BG2
[21:25:28] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03avenger_teambg * rcf7686cbe3bd 10gemrb/ (5 files in 5 dirs): Merge branch 'master' of ssh://avenger_teambg@gemrb.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/gemrb/gemrb
[21:25:32] <Avenger> ok, i did the same in iwd
[21:27:02] <Avenger> lynx if you want you can do the rest :)
[21:27:09] <Avenger> bye
[21:27:12] <-- Avenger has left IRC (Quit: bye!)
[21:42:31] --> roobie|_| has joined #GemRb
[22:57:18] <Maighstir_laptop> Since the option was added, I tried building GemRB with statically linked plugins, and it seems MinGW isn't all too happy with that. Log: http://pastebin.com/52v9Cfue
[22:58:36] <Maighstir_laptop> Normal build runs fine though, except selecting portraits in IWD is weird... it selects [the one I clicked on]+1, so clicking on the first one selects the second, clicking the last one doesn't work at all
[23:00:30] <fuzzie> oh dear
[23:02:39] <Maighstir_laptop> if I'm in one of the various info windows (inventory, character record, ...) and select one portrait, it acts as if I clicked the portrait below. Switching to another info window changes character to the one I actually clicked on
[23:03:24] <tomprince_loki> Maighstir_laptop: re static linking, can you try removing the if, and the else branch at line 210 of /CMakeList.txt
[23:03:49] <fuzzie> yes, avenger is a silly
[23:05:30] <fuzzie> hate this code
[23:06:48] <fuzzie> the stupid iwd loading screen is wonky too
[23:07:02] <tomprince_loki> Maighstir_laptop: I tried and apparently failed to disable static link on win32. And I didn't add support for it yet.
[23:08:37] <fuzzie> is there an advantage to static linking?
[23:09:02] <Maighstir_laptop> re: portrait selection, after a little more testing it almost seems random what portrait it treats as selected
[23:09:14] <fuzzie> am working on portrait selection
[23:09:34] <fuzzie> i have deja vu from fixing this sometime before
[23:11:04] <tomprince_loki> That you only need the single binary.
[23:11:31] <fuzzie> well, i'm just wondering who that is a plus for :)
[23:11:32] <tomprince_loki> It may allow better link-time optimization.
[23:11:53] <fuzzie> i mean, this is all-or-nothing, i think?
[23:11:58] <tomprince_loki> Right now, yes.
[23:12:06] <fuzzie> i can see how it would be useful if it could be mixed
[23:12:38] <fuzzie> i mean, i am just curious, it's no harm anyway
[23:12:52] <tomprince_loki> It could.
[23:13:42] <Maighstir_laptop> tomprince_loki: changing the if (STATIC_LINK) block to simply say ADD_DEFINITIONS("-DSTATIC_LINK") instead of looking for Win32 and Apple doesn't change a thing... Wanted to try it but I'll refrain from doing that
[23:14:14] <tomprince_loki> It needs some thought put into when libgemrb_core can be statically linked. I think any of the plugins can be staically linked, and if all of them are statically linked, then libgemrb_core can be as well.
[23:15:24] <tomprince_loki> Maighstir_laptop: http://pastie.org/1022567
[23:15:48] <fuzzie> oh, right
[23:15:59] <fuzzie> so it's kinda not so helpful :|
[23:16:09] <fuzzie> i forgot that that's why core is a library in the first place
[23:22:09] <CIA-23> GemRB: 03fuzzie * r094b35d9d681 10gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/iwd/GUICommonWindows.py: try finishing Avenger's sync of iwd portrait ids
[23:22:11] <fuzzie> Maighstir_laptop: better?
[23:22:13] <Maighstir_laptop> CMake Warnings at gemrb/CMakeLists.txt:11 (if)
[23:22:13] <Maighstir_laptop> given arguments:
[23:22:13] <Maighstir_laptop> "MINGW" "and" "STATIC_LINK"
[23:22:13] <Maighstir_laptop> Unknwn arguments specified
[23:22:19] <Maighstir_laptop> anything I should worry about?
[23:24:31] <tomprince_loki> and should be capatalized.
[23:25:26] <tomprince_loki> I do hate cmakes freeform syntax, and inconsistent case sensitivity.
[23:26:04] <fuzzie> yes
[23:26:21] <tomprince_loki> That is "and" should be capatalized, i think.
[23:26:27] <fuzzie> it really seems that cmake is terrible, it's just that everything else is worse
[23:29:49] <Maighstir_laptop> capitalising "AND" at least made it not complain
[23:30:04] <Maighstir_laptop> yowtch! spoke too soon
[23:30:26] <tomprince_loki> What does it complain about.
[23:30:47] <tomprince_loki> fuzzie: On unix at least, gemrb_core isn't needed, even with plugins.
[23:31:27] <Maighstir_laptop> I'd guess several hundred, if not thousand, lines similar to what I posted earlier
[23:32:45] <tomprince_loki> fuzzie: If you surround gemrb_core with -Wl,--{,no-}whole-archive, add -rdynamic in gemrb/CMakeList.txt and make gemrb_core static instead of shared, it works here, anyway without libgemrb_core.so.
[23:34:31] <tomprince_loki> Maighstir_laptop: I'll need more info.
[23:34:55] <fuzzie> tomprince_loki: i don't think it works on all unix
[23:35:03] <fuzzie> but, yes, it is windows which is the problem
[23:35:19] <fuzzie> but too tired to be coherent about it, i expect
[23:37:17] <Maighstir_laptop> tomprince_loki: short sample (this filled the cmd history completely, I could log to a file but I didn't do that right now): htttp://pastie.org/1022583
[23:37:34] <Maighstir_laptop> eh... http://pastie.org/1022583 one t too many
[23:38:11] <-- tomprince_loki has left IRC (Quit: tomprince_loki)
[23:38:21] --> tomprince_loki has joined #GemRb
[23:44:55] <tomprince_loki> Try moving gemrb_core after ${plugins}
[23:45:19] <tomprince_loki> Also, I am curious if it give you an error message at the start about --whole-archive.
[23:47:50] <Maighstir_laptop> over 5000 lines of those errors, but nothing about --whole-archive
[23:51:07] <tomprince_loki> Is that with gemrb_core after ${plugins} ?
[23:53:04] <tomprince_loki> If so, then I am going to say that static_link isn't supported on win32 yet. The issue is that the linker isn't linking everything it should, hence the missing symbols. And I don't know the proper incantation on win32 to get it to include them.
[23:54:00] <Maighstir_laptop> no, before, running with the change now
[23:54:32] <tomprince_loki> Related question, what version of binutils do you have? `ld --version`
[23:54:57] <Maighstir_laptop> 2.20
[23:55:52] <tomprince_loki> New enough ...
[23:59:37] <tomprince_loki> This http://pastie.org/1022606 on top the rest might do it.