#gemrb@irc.freenode.net logs for 5 Dec 2011 (GMT)

Archive Today Yesterday Tomorrow
GemRB homepage


[00:14:52] <-- edheldil_ has left IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[00:29:13] --> edheldil_ has joined #gemrb
[00:50:18] --> dmatse has joined #gemrb
[00:51:58] <dmatse> can anybody help me with a bg1 installation, i don't get voice sounds (music sounds work) and gemrb gives me output like this: "[ResourceManager]: Searching for a... Tried a.ogg a.wav a.acm a.wav [ERROR]"
[00:52:32] <dmatse> i have installed bg1 via a virtualbox and in this virtualbox sound works well
[00:54:42] <dmatse> i have enabled case sensitive file system in my config and the path to the cds is set correctly
[01:13:35] <dmatse> ok since i have to leave now i have opened a topic here http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=23609
[01:13:43] <dmatse> maybe someone can help me, bye
[01:13:45] <-- dmatse has left IRC (Quit: leaving)
[01:31:27] <-- edheldil_ has left IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[02:45:27] <-- Maighstir has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[05:08:17] --> lloyd has joined #gemrb
[05:45:10] --> Beholder has joined #gemrb
[05:47:36] <-- Beholder has left IRC (Client Quit)
[06:24:15] --> Astus has joined #gemrb
[08:24:09] --> Beholder has joined #gemrb
[08:38:03] --> SiENcE has joined #gemrb
[09:02:21] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #gemrb
[09:02:21] <-- lynxlynxlynx has left IRC (Changing host)
[09:02:21] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #gemrb
[09:02:21] --- ChanServ gives channel operator status to lynxlynxlynx
[09:22:34] <-- SiENcE has left IRC (Quit: @all: cya)
[09:29:04] --> SiENcE has joined #gemrb
[10:01:43] <-- Astus has left IRC (Quit: Direct your eyes to somewhere else, please.)
[10:02:46] <-- lynxlynxlynx has left IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[10:26:57] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #gemrb
[10:26:57] <-- lynxlynxlynx has left IRC (Changing host)
[10:26:57] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #gemrb
[10:26:57] --- ChanServ gives channel operator status to lynxlynxlynx
[10:34:26] <-- lynxlynxlynx has left IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[13:59:52] <-- Beholder has left IRC (Quit: Beholder)
[15:19:43] <-- CJS|2 has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:43:26] --> Yoshimo has joined #gemrb
[15:45:51] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #gemrb
[15:45:52] <-- lynxlynxlynx has left IRC (Changing host)
[15:45:52] --> lynxlynxlynx has joined #gemrb
[15:45:52] --- ChanServ gives channel operator status to lynxlynxlynx
[16:01:34] --> PixelScum has joined #gemrb
[16:01:39] <Yoshimo> just installing beholder latest android nightly and letting it download the bg2 demo, is not enough to play it on my cell. I can't use any other letters than e in my charactername , and for my 480x800 resolution, it fails at displaying the ui . How do you handle keyboard on android?
[16:03:04] <-- Drakkar has left IRC (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[16:13:16] <Yoshimo> also when trying to play the tutorial, the screen turns blue and the app is closed.
[16:22:23] <lynxlynxlynx> keyboard is being fixed
[16:22:38] <lynxlynxlynx> i guess it was switched to sdl 1.3
[16:22:39] <fuzzie> wasn't beholder's latest one SDL 1.3?
[16:22:58] <Yoshimo> i dont know which one he gave me
[16:30:02] <Yoshimo> i wonder what this gemrb crash is abou
[16:33:37] <Yoshimo> last logentry say E/InputDispatcher (2695): channel '40954d0 net.sourceforge.gemrb/net.sourceforge.gemrb.MainActivity (server)' ~sinsumer closed inout channel or error occured . events=0x8
[16:39:48] --> jeremyagost has joined #gemrb
[16:45:10] <lynxlynxlynx> blue means missing area data
[16:45:20] <lynxlynxlynx> after that, it's easy to get a crash
[16:46:32] <Yoshimo> mhm, time to upload more than the demo. Should i use the widescreen mod for my res or should it work without? i mean its less than the original
[16:47:20] <lynxlynxlynx> it can't work without
[17:05:26] --> Beholder has joined #gemrb
[17:09:54] --> Maighstir has joined #gemrb
[17:41:03] <-- SiENcE has left IRC (Quit: @all: cya)
[17:41:12] <Beholder> Android support in SDL 1.3 is very bad, no minimize-resume events, no screen keyboard, poor performance and all unstable
[17:41:47] <Beholder> pelya's port is much better
[17:43:41] <Beholder> he perhaps to add multitouch this week
[17:46:39] <fuzzie> does pelya's port support proper keyboard now?
[17:47:56] <Beholder> it use standard android keyboard
[17:48:28] <Beholder> without alt, ctrl and other PC-like keys
[17:48:57] <fuzzie> which one?
[17:49:02] <fuzzie> i mean, standard android keyboard is much better
[17:49:15] <fuzzie> for typing names and etc
[17:49:24] <fuzzie> so it would be nice to have the option to use both
[17:49:59] <fuzzie> but i couldn't make proper android keyboard appear in pelya's port, just the really complicated one
[17:50:35] <Beholder> hm
[17:51:16] <fuzzie> am i just being stupid? :)
[17:51:49] <Beholder> if i press the keyboard icon in GEMRB, i see standard system keyboard from HTC. I use this keyboard in all other apps.
[17:52:07] <fuzzie> ah. doesn't work for me.
[17:52:28] <fuzzie> i have to try building it maybe
[17:54:47] <Beholder> i've created experimental build with official SDL 1.3, i can upload it if interesting. But it contains some issues.
[17:55:18] <fuzzie> youtube videos with keyboard all using android 2.x, hmph
[17:56:12] <Beholder> what version on your device? 3.X?
[17:56:18] <fuzzie> yes, 3.2
[17:57:12] <Beholder> and keyboard not displays?
[17:57:27] <fuzzie> yes, no native keyboard popup, and graphics are buggy
[17:57:48] <fuzzie> i see graphics working on galaxy tab 10.1 fine on youtube though, which is almost the same hardware..
[17:58:36] <Beholder> it's a not hardware dependent, i think
[18:00:10] <fuzzie> multitouch in pelya's port would be nice though
[18:02:04] --> brad_a has joined #gemrb
[18:03:01] <Beholder> yeah, it will compatible with official
[18:04:34] <Beholder> tab 10.1 runs on 3.x android?
[18:09:50] <Beholder> where i see clean SDLVideo.cpp without any iOS touch-processing code?
[18:10:12] <brad_a> use git to revert the commit
[18:11:14] <lynxlynxlynx> not likely to be enouh
[18:12:54] <brad_a> then probably do a checkout before the first touch commit. im pretty sure nothing major has been done in there aside from that
[18:13:33] <brad_a> then if you can just copy the file out and re-checkout master and overwrite the old one
[18:14:05] <Beholder> maybe i'll ask about questionable variables?
[18:15:20] <brad_a> well rewriting to use jsut the touch events you would probably be well off to strip out my changes
[18:15:45] <brad_a> since that code was dependant on both touch and mouse i dont think you will be able to easily salvage it
[18:15:52] <Beholder> ignoreNextMouseUp is used for PC?
[18:15:55] <brad_a> no
[18:23:20] <Beholder> too many changes(
[18:23:36] <Beholder> I'm confused
[18:24:47] <brad_a> next week i will have time to rewrite it if you just want to wait
[18:24:56] <Beholder> ok
[18:25:26] <brad_a> ill even put off the next stage of the font rewrite to do it :)
[18:27:15] <Beholder> i've tested multitouch on android. works fine
[18:27:49] <brad_a> ok good. that will motivate me to do it sooner rather than later :)
[18:32:50] <Beholder> i'll continue to use pelya's port, it more functional, fast and stable
[18:35:11] <Beholder> fuzzie, what graphical bugs appears on your tablet?
[18:36:30] <brad_a> probably she is taking about the palettes? (if she is using sdl 1.3)
[18:38:09] <Beholder> no, she talking about market version and other with sdl 1.2
[18:40:41] <Beholder> about gestures
[18:40:47] <Beholder> i think the drag-to-scroll swipe with 1 finger is useful for scrolling map
[18:41:02] <Beholder> pinch out for group selection
[18:41:36] <Beholder> one finger swipe also useful for scrolling any
[18:41:42] <brad_a> yeah that sounds fine
[18:41:51] <brad_a> options are always nice
[18:42:32] <brad_a> one finger already does scroll text areas
[18:43:29] <brad_a> i dont know about the pinch out buisiness it seems on a big tablet with a spread out party that could be mighty cumbersome
[18:43:37] <Beholder> a know, but cant see, not working for me )))
[18:44:05] <Beholder> you are right
[18:44:05] <brad_a> plus it may conflict with single taps
[18:44:21] <brad_a> tho we could apply a delta fudge factor
[18:44:36] <brad_a> but i think it orks well right now
[18:44:49] <brad_a> 2 fingers to scroll viewport isnt cumbersome
[18:45:11] <Beholder> but for smartphone pinch out for selection will be ideal
[18:46:04] <brad_a> if its not too hard to have both as options yes
[18:46:19] <brad_a> i will definitely keep it in mind
[18:47:15] <Beholder> i tested one finger scroll in my device, it's not conflicting with other actions
[18:47:38] <Beholder> very comfortable
[18:48:44] <brad_a> im not woried about the scrolling so much as the ability to drag a selection box
[18:48:55] <brad_a> i think we should take a poll or soemthing
[18:50:08] <Beholder> swipe cause will highlighting action (two fingers)
[18:50:34] <Beholder> right, poll will be actual
[18:51:02] <brad_a> beholder: you can change numfinginfo in the config if you dont like that
[18:51:24] <brad_a> it just defaults to 2 fingers
[18:51:50] <Beholder> i know)
[18:52:45] <Beholder> and highlighting not needed for me, my device has more than one button :)
[18:53:05] <brad_a> right so jsut change it to 4 and you wont have it at all
[18:53:17] <Beholder> )
[18:53:37] <brad_a> we could also make the config let it be 0 to disable completely
[18:53:54] <brad_a> right now you cant make it 0
[18:55:39] <Beholder> we need to disable standard mouse scrolling through config variable or compiler flag
[18:56:13] <Yoshimo> jeremyagost , does the pickpocketing patch need further confirmation from the real game before merging?
[19:06:13] <brad_a> Beholder: why disable mouse scrolling exctly?
[19:07:14] <brad_a> I will probably just ifdef out all mouse events or iphone, but cant android use an actual mouse?
[19:13:44] <Beholder> if user use swipe for scrolling and tap to screen edge he got mouse scrolling too and will confused (sorry for my bad english :( )
[19:25:26] <brad_a> oh in my ios branch i block that behavior
[19:26:14] <brad_a> once multitouch works for android will we get rid of touchscrollareas?
[19:28:42] <Beholder> not a good idea, not an all devices support multitouch
[19:29:10] <brad_a> i see
[19:34:06] <brad_a> well touchscrollareas and multitouch should be made mutually exclusive IMO
[19:36:07] <Beholder> of course
[19:36:49] <brad_a> so we should maybe rename touchscrollareas to touchinputflags
[19:36:58] <Yoshimo> once i find my usb cable, ill shift a new install over, and then i hopefully can test android without crashes due to missing data
[20:08:23] <CIA-44> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian * r860981208494 10gemrb/gemrb/core/Scriptable/Actor.cpp: even without proficiency, apr effects give a bonus in the original
[20:08:25] <CIA-44> GemRB: 03lynxlupodian * r48a35b219b85 10gemrb/gemrb/core/Scriptable/Actor.cpp: fixed apr calculation some more, so it is usually right for ranged weapons
[20:15:31] <Yoshimo> widescreen sucks, my screen is only 480 , and the minimum number is 482 :P
[20:16:31] <Beholder> are you use old widescreen?
[20:16:39] <lynxlynxlynx> it's widescreen, not narrowscreen
[20:17:09] <Beholder> i patched all my games to 800x480 without any troubles
[20:18:06] <brad_a> on iOS if i use a res bigger than the screen it just gets cut off. I'm going to go ahead and say you shouldn't mourn the loss of 2 pixels
[20:18:14] <brad_a> assuming android sdl does the same thing
[20:18:27] <Yoshimo> v 3.05 beholder
[20:23:38] <Yoshimo> ouch , 18h remaining to copy 7,6gig onto the phone over usb, hurts
[20:24:11] <brad_a> why so long?
[20:24:15] <brad_a> usb 1?
[20:24:47] <brad_a> that should take about 10 min over usb 2
[20:25:51] <Yoshimo> i hope its just windows estimating wrong
[20:26:01] <Beholder> Yoshimo, odd. I used 3.0.2 and minimum res is been 480
[20:28:22] <Yoshimo> oh well 2 pixel, there are worse problems
[20:29:10] <Yoshimo> slow transfer for example
[20:34:10] --> edheldil_ has joined #gemrb
[20:38:18] <-- Yoshimo has left IRC (Quit: Yoshimo)
[20:38:33] --> Yoshimo has joined #gemrb
[20:46:45] <Yoshimo> ok this is difficult, trying to copy bg2 over to my cell, explorer.exe crashes after a few files , tera copy doesnt see the cell, what else could i try?
[20:53:37] <-- edheldil_ has left IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[20:55:58] <jeremyagost> Yoshimo: the pickpocketing patch should be fairly in line with the IE as is
[20:56:39] <jeremyagost> just about the only difference between my implementation and what we saw in the decompile is equipped weapons
[20:56:52] <fuzzie> which version?
[20:57:06] <fuzzie> i seem to recall this is another thing where bg2 was weirder
[20:58:10] <Yoshimo> bg2 latest patch , behaved diffrent than gemrb
[20:59:00] <jeremyagost> it wasn't obvious in the bg2 decomp that equipped weapons were excluded from stealing
[20:59:23] <jeremyagost> but I can't ever think of an instance in BG2 where I was able to steal something that was in someone's hand
[20:59:46] <fuzzie> equipped weapons are definitely excluded
[20:59:56] <jeremyagost> yeah so I changed that
[21:00:24] <jeremyagost> also the slottypes.2da files where the stealing stuff is defined was not consistent with how the unstealable flag was supposed to work as described in the documentation
[21:00:30] <jeremyagost> so I fixed all of those
[21:00:31] --> SiENcE has joined #gemrb
[21:00:53] <fuzzie> oh?
[21:01:01] <Yoshimo> jeremy, the decompilation can only be as good as the raw data, which is not the best
[21:01:23] <jeremyagost> yeah I posted a patch, one sec
[21:01:35] <jeremyagost> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17088718/fix_unstealables.patch
[21:01:57] <jeremyagost> I also changed Actions.cpp and Inventory.cpp
[21:02:12] <fuzzie> hm
[21:02:18] <fuzzie> so how goes gold stealing work in original engine, then?
[21:02:23] <jeremyagost> for whatever reason, in Actions.cpp it had been coded so that gold was stealable
[21:02:39] <Yoshimo> as far as i tested fuzzie, you cant steal it
[21:02:54] <fuzzie> you can definitely steal it
[21:03:00] <Yoshimo> only way to drop gold that creatures carry is to kill them, which also enables you to get their worn items
[21:03:03] <fuzzie> perhaps not from the stat, though
[21:03:21] <jeremyagost> as far as I can tell, you can only steal the MISCXX gold item
[21:03:30] <jeremyagost> if it's in someone's inventory for whatever reason
[21:03:34] <Yoshimo> ratava artsym carries 17500 gold, gemrb lets you pick it. BG2 doesnt
[21:03:44] <jeremyagost> yeah that's the key
[21:03:47] <fuzzie> but this is all bg2
[21:04:05] <jeremyagost> true enough
[21:04:34] <jeremyagost> unfortunately I've discovered that my copies of IWD, IWD2, PST, and BG1 are ALL not nearby
[21:04:57] <jeremyagost> all I have to test with is a modded BG1/2 install and the BG2 demo
[21:05:37] <fuzzie> modded BG1/2 install?
[21:05:40] <jeremyagost> yeah
[21:05:52] <jeremyagost> BGT plus a ton of other stuff
[21:05:55] <fuzzie> ah
[21:05:57] <fuzzie> so bg2 :P
[21:05:59] <jeremyagost> done with the new "megamod" manager
[21:06:05] <jeremyagost> engine-wise yeah
[21:06:19] <jeremyagost> I haven't played with plain BG1 engine in about 10 years >.<
[21:06:27] <fuzzie> it's .. quite different
[21:06:32] <jeremyagost> yeah I do remember that
[21:06:34] <fuzzie> in a lot of annoyingly subtle ways
[21:06:55] <jeremyagost> in a couple weeks I'll get a chance to pick up all my disks
[21:06:59] <Yoshimo> there is a reason why we use bgt^^
[21:07:17] <fuzzie> because you're completely crazy
[21:07:19] <jeremyagost> well that and I'm not particularly fond of 640x480 :P
[21:07:24] <fuzzie> which you can tell by the fact you're playing bg1 in the first place
[21:07:39] <jeremyagost> BG1 was certainly very… rough
[21:07:51] <jeremyagost> but if anyone wants to test things....
[21:08:41] <fuzzie> but i'm wondering why you changed the unstealable flag
[21:08:54] <fuzzie> where's it used in an inverted manner?
[21:08:57] <jeremyagost> because the way it was didn't make sense
[21:09:13] <jeremyagost> in slottypes.txt documentation file, it was described that Bit 1 = unstealable
[21:09:24] <fuzzie> i mean, this way you have a huuuge diff
[21:10:02] <jeremyagost> it makes no sense that the default behavior would be unstealable
[21:10:06] <fuzzie> so i'm wondering why you did't just change the ancient documentation
[21:10:19] <fuzzie> well, there *isn't* default behavior, right?
[21:10:36] <jeremyagost> I think it's generally accepted that unstealable is an exception to the rule
[21:10:51] <jeremyagost> at least, that's how the IE code seemed to treat it
[21:10:57] <fuzzie> right
[21:11:06] <fuzzie> i mean, i'm not sure that's a very good argument
[21:11:10] <jeremyagost> it's a matter of form I suppose
[21:11:20] <fuzzie> "bioware did it" is generally a huge blinking "don't do it this way" warning sign frankly :P
[21:11:23] <fuzzie> i mean, i don't care
[21:11:36] <fuzzie> whatever makes most sense to the person fiddling with it is fine
[21:11:37] <jeremyagost> but a 35kb diff, relatively speaking, isn't much of a burden
[21:11:43] <fuzzie> but that patch doesn't actually fix anything?
[21:11:51] <jeremyagost> it changes a few things that were already broken
[21:11:53] <fuzzie> or it does, but it's lost somewhere in the middle of an unrelated 'change meaning of the flag' diff?
[21:12:02] <Yoshimo> i know by now that they didnt make the best design decisions, but we dont have to do everything diffrent than them either
[21:12:26] <jeremyagost> I can split the inversion change from the actual bug fixes
[21:12:29] <jeremyagost> I guess I should
[21:12:32] <fuzzie> ok. yes, please do.
[21:12:36] <jeremyagost> should've done that begin with
[21:13:05] <fuzzie> also, the 'Fixed money stealing' patch should have some more commentary
[21:13:23] <fuzzie> like "in original bg2 engine"
[21:14:01] <jeremyagost> alright
[21:14:11] <fuzzie> (and if you're going to just sabotage the code, could you make it a TODO or FIXME comment in the code?)
[21:14:34] <fuzzie> it doesn't seem unreasonable to default to bg2 behaviour since that is apparently what everyone is playing here
[21:14:40] <jeremyagost> for the moment perhaps I should just make the money change specific to a BG2 engine mode
[21:14:51] <fuzzie> well, maybe all the engines do it
[21:15:50] <jeremyagost> from my experience in the modding community, the two main engines in use were BG2:ToB and IWD:HoW
[21:16:20] <jeremyagost> for whatever reason, it seems like no one cares about IWD2 or PST
[21:16:45] <jeremyagost> and BG1, TotSC, BG2:SoA, and IWD are effectively deprecated
[21:16:48] <fuzzie> well, because PST is clearly perfect as it is
[21:16:58] <jeremyagost> heh, fair enough
[21:17:23] <jeremyagost> and I suppose by the time IWD2 came around everyone was already playing NWN
[21:18:42] <Yoshimo> pst hurts my eyes with the graphics^
[21:19:55] <Maighstir> I suppose having diamonds shoved into your eyes would hurt...
[21:20:33] <Yoshimo> i could use some highres patch there
[21:21:08] --> edheldil_ has joined #gemrb
[21:21:51] <jeremyagost> well that's mostly the fault of it being essentially a BG1 engine that you can't TuTu
[21:37:41] <Yoshimo> i dont think pickpocketing behaviour will be diffrent in bg1
[21:55:36] <-- edheldil_ has left IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[22:29:46] <-- Beholder has left #gemrb
[22:35:44] <jeremyagost> alright so I'm going to rework my pickpocket patch
[22:36:45] <jeremyagost> all the stealable items behavior will be brought in line with BG2
[22:37:03] <jeremyagost> as well as the specific item exclusions (e.g. Minsc's Boo)
[22:44:37] <-- brad_a has left IRC (Read error: No route to host)
[22:45:59] <Yoshimo> do you know what the unidentified line in the helm and other slot list was?
[22:50:12] <lynxlynxlynx> maybe bag?
[22:53:18] <jeremyagost> Yoshimo: what are you talking about?
[22:53:45] <jeremyagost> http://paste2.org/p/1808120 <-- you mean lines 211and 229?
[22:53:57] <Yoshimo> yea
[22:54:38] <jeremyagost> was that snip part of a larger decamp?
[22:54:40] <jeremyagost> decomp*
[22:55:30] <jeremyagost> and where are these symbols being defined?
[22:56:02] <Yoshimo> lets talk about it tomorrow, when im not on mobile devices
[22:56:08] <jeremyagost> alright
[22:56:12] <-- Yoshimo has left IRC (Quit: Yoshimo)
[22:56:57] <jeremyagost> anyone know where these decompiles I've been seeing come from?
[22:57:12] <jeremyagost> I presume they're BGMain but someone's obviously been identifying symbols
[23:02:35] <-- SiENcE has left IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:05:46] <lynxlynxlynx> err, you don't know how you got them?
[23:06:52] <jeremyagost> well a few people have been pastebining snippets of decompiles for me
[23:07:00] <jeremyagost> but I certainly haven't made any myself
[23:08:04] <jeremyagost> and considering the number of identified symbols in the snippets I figured some of you guys were working on a pdb or somesuch
[23:09:56] <lynxlynxlynx> i'll just guess it's from fuzzie
[23:10:15] <lynxlynxlynx> collaborative work with avenger
[23:10:45] <jeremyagost> fuzzie: share the pdb?
[23:11:38] --> brad_a has joined #gemrb
[23:17:48] <-- lynxlynxlynx has left IRC (Remote host closed the connection)
[23:43:17] <-- Maighstir has left IRC (Quit: .)